Thursday, May 28, 2009

Definition of a Nun


Webster's defines a nun as: a woman belonging to a religious order; one under solemn vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience
My definition is slightly different.
To me, a nun is someone who devotes their entire lives, to the very core of their being, to something greater than themselves. They are perseverant, unstoppable, passionate, unwavering... focused like a magnifying glass though-out their entire lives, they are the true believers.
To me, Hillary Clinton is the Mother Superior of my definition of a nun.

But all nuns don't have to give selflessly to the world like Hillary does. They don't all have to be warriors against planetary problems.
They can give in other ways... though music, art, writing, science, fashion, dance, sports, acting or whatever their cause or life-passion is.
Another one of my favorite nuns is Siouxsie Sioux. 

Siouxsie has consistently given the world excellent music with a very particular aesthetic for over 30 years. She doesn't fool around, she never lets you down. She is a nun of music.

Who do you consider to be a nun?
I'd love to hear from you!

6 comments:

bisbohemian said...

I will have nun of that!

Charlene said...

Aretha Franklin comes to mind...The Queen of Nun Soul

Paintress Gretchen said...

Hi Common cents, I would love to but for some reason my computer gets jammed on your site. It must be an intense site as my computer goes bonkers when I try to go there! But thank you!
Charlene, yes I agree on Aretha.

Tour Wonk said...

Count me in..

Altho I am more of a NONE than Nun.

But as far as YOU are concerned.. there is NONE BETTER!!

Paintress Gretchen said...

Your'e a nun by default, Sister Wendy.
By the way, I love your painting show!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post..........
thank U for post.....

___________________

Vince

Entertainment at one stop