Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A day at the lake

We spent the whole day yesterday, a lot of last night, and much of today floating around on ears of corn, and on the backs of alligators, at the lake. Kate treated us to a night at "Bass" cabin, on Roper lake in Safford Az. One of my favorite parts of the trip took place after a delicious bottle of Chateauneuf Du Pape. Jesse and I took our ear of corn and our alligator out and floated around in the middle of the night on the lake. We saw endless falling stars. Jesse describes this time as " what it must be like to be dead".
Quite a few Fabricated humans made the scene. Arunis, the transgendered doll was there. S/he mostly stayed indoors nibbling on sushi, and afterwards claimed s/he would never go camping again.
I picked up a few new dolls at the Wilcox thrift store. I didn't bring my camera so I tried to draw them, but didn't pack much in the way of art supplies. I tried drawing with gummi bears, but ended up gluing them on by leaving them in the sun on my paper.



Louise, the sock monkey, made the scene. We'll be hearing more from her soon!

Here is a rather dumb Hillary poem I made up while floating on the lake.


Hillary grass,
waving at the sun.

Hillary clouds,
changing to pink when day is done.

Hillary sky,
blue but fading as fast.

Hillary moon,
rising at last.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hell-woo, as u and Miss Jesse play like dead bodies floating in da lake I work very hard on trophie 4 u.But had a little problem, 1st ting I drink red-bull to wake up, den I see sake bottle too heavy to glue to can, so I drink all da sake too........den tings got really stra-age an twisted.

PS. U spell lousie's name like lluueezz

Paintress Gretchen said...

Well then, glue to red bull to the sake bottle. I wonder who will win this wonderous creation? Hmmmm......
Thanks for the spelling correction!

KCmustang said...

i miss hillary

love the gb poem <3

KCmustang said...

Wait, let me get this right...there is a lake in AZ? wow. Is this a true story... Ok so then the saying... I would die to float out on the lake in the middle of the night and see endless falling stars.... is right in line with jesse's "what it is like to be dead". Huh I would get eaten alive by mosiquitos if i did that here. Sounds like a very groovy day on the lake that i didn't know existed in AZ.

So GB are you in or around Bisbee November 15thish. I have to be in Tucson November 20th and doing the ride on the 22nd.

Anonymous said...

I love the poem. It was great to hear it by the glow of candle light on the banks of the lake.

love23 said...

Hey, I didn't even know that I had some mosquito bites, until last night? when the itching commenced. But it was all worth it, I tried sleeping in, but just couldn't. Well of course after the fact, I now know I should have gone out on the lake in the dark too, but I sat at the edge of the lake in the dark and saw many many stars also, it's a beautiful place out there, thanks MR. ROPER for wanting your own LAKE in Arizona in the 1950's and then having one built for yourself and friends to water ski on. (we met some folks at the Essence of Tranquility Hot Springs 3 miles from Roper Lake that water ski'd with Mr. Roper in 1950!)

Paintress Gretchen said...

Hey, KC... hell ya I'll be here! Can't wait to see you... why don't you just pack your bags and buy a one way ticket? Hmmm....? Just a thought!

KCmustang said...

Hmmm... i think the airlines only allow two bags now adays.... one will be my gear and the other...hmmmm you got me thinkin

love23 said...

By the way, MR. ROPER died and gave his Lake to the State of Arizona. No motors allowed these days, and the island that was only reachable by boat, has land access now. There's something mysteriously beautiful about ROPER LAKE, you have to go there to find out what.