Monday, July 14, 2008

Favorite artists

Let's talk about art. Who is your favorite dead painter, who is your favorite living painter?
Dead painters are easy, it's the living ones we have trouble with. In fact, name one living painter who is famous...

On that note, I'll start with my favorite dead painter, since I too don't know many famous living painters.

My favorite dead painter is Max Beckman ( 1884-1950)
Max Beckman was a German expressionist, one of Germany's best. He was considered a "National treasure" until Hitler came along. Hitler deemed him a 'Degenerate" painter, along with many of Max's contemporaries. He was unable to show his work, and had over 600 of his paintings confiscated. Max blew that clambake and fled to Amsterdam, never to return to Germany again.

Here's a few photos I took from one of my most prized possessions, my Max Beckman book.











I'll have to get back to you on my favorite living painter, I'll need to do a little research.. But do tell us your favorites!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hillary Clinton's recent announcement that she'll be peddling $50 tee shirts with an obnoxiously inspirational/bitter slogan is both annoying and sad. Besides, if she's got to sell stuff, it might as well be cool, or practical, like a Husband GPS Tracking System to keep an eye on Bill, or a handy watch that tells you when it's time to concede...
http://www.236.com/news/2008/07/13/hillary_clintons_20m_mental_re_7691.php

love23 said...

Oh wow, I can definitely see the influence on you and your dad Gene's style. Oh my, my hangover is not quite worth the fun last night, maybe it will be later. No laps this morning, plan to go in the afternoon today, a rarity for me. Of course I'll be taking a huge break from alkyhol! I read until 1:30AM! and then let the pillow take over. I notice also that those pesky naysayers are back talking trash about our favorite lady!

love23 said...

My favorite dead painters that come to mind, are Georgia O'Keefe, Howard Finster, Henri Matisse, and Salvador Dali.

KCmustang said...

Hmmm i am going to have to think about this ...My grandmother is my favorite dead painter. But as far as famous dead it would be Georgia O'Keefe cuz i like photography and see that in her paintings... i also like Oscar Bluemner but not sure how famous he is.... and when i go to the art museum i remember the other names.

I think Wyland would be considered a famous living painter. i fell in love his ocean stuff in hawaii.

I would say my sister Maryann and Gretchen are my favorite living painters.

Anonymous said...

Living painters---Gretchen,of course-------by the way---i have a bunch of new stuff for the Garden Mosaic---called "The garden of good and evil"---many new jewels,doll heads,etc.--------Jackie-o

Paintress Gretchen said...

Sounds great, I like the name too. Thanks for the kudos mom, but I was going for famous, house-hold name living artists, that makes it really hard!

Anonymous said...

Which book do you have?I looked them up on Amazon,but could'nt tell . Dad has one but it's mostly black and white.