Sunday, July 20, 2008

Waterfalls in the desert

When most people think of the Arizonian desert they think of, why, desert! Cacti, cow skulls, maybe a lonesome cowboy, and certainly an extreme lack of water. Here in Bisbee, summer is most people's favorite time of the year. The monsoons are here in July and August , and we are treated to dramatic deluges of water every afternoon or early evening. We have dramatic thunder and lightning storms, where our streets turn into rivers. Sometimes these rivers are so intense they may be carrying a car or two, and maybe a washing machine or a refrigerator. The monsoons are just getting going here, and with them come one of my favorite things... the waterfalls!
I brought my camera along today to share some photos with you.





Very few people go up there, and the swimming is great!



Check out Bisbee in the summer sometime. It's usually about 75 degrees, and really quite lovely!



3 comments:

love23 said...

Hey Gretchen, you are letting the cat out of the bag, telling everybody how marvelous it is here in the summer! But I know that only interesting types read your blog, so I guess that's OK. It's a secret that it's not actually hot here in Bisbee, most people think of desert as you said, they don't know about our little oasis! Hope to see you later for yet another SCRABBLE night!

Tour Wonk said...

GB..

Thanks for posting pics! I do love living in Bisbee!! Perhaps I shouldn't fear summer as much now, eh?

Paintress Gretchen said...

Perhaps, my dear wendy!